Now with four episodes following its highly-anticipated premiere, tvN‘s new K-Drama It’s Okay To Not Be Okay is facing a significant amount of viewer criticism… for airing too many scenes that could be perceived as “sexually harassing”.
One of the scenes found problematic among viewers included actress Seo Ye Ji (also known as Seo Yea Ji) raiding the medical center’s locker room and running her hands up and down actor Kim Soo Hyun‘s body against his consent:
Another included actor Kwak Dong Yeon‘s strip show, and he’s constantly saying “I know. The thought of someone looking at me intently gets me so excited.”
Not just that, the following scenario of Seo Ye Ji calling him “Teeny-Weeny”. She said, “Is this what people would call a teeny-weeny weenie? Because it’s tiny?” also gets criticized.
Viewers also found the scene Seo Ye Ji saying, “Why are you so cold to me? You were really passionate that night… Yes, I’m horny. I admit that… Do you want to sleep with me?” to be inappropriate as well:
Other concerns involved the scene in which Kwak Dong Yeon mentions a “Morning Sun Club” that allegedly alludes to the ongoing Burning Sun scandal — as well as the scene in which Seo Ye Ji gets an offer to be in a sexual relationship with a literary critic in exchange of good reviews of her books. The scene in which Seo Ye Ji asks Kim Soo Hyun if her touching his hair gets him sexually aroused also took some heat.
In general, frustration grew over how the show seems to become excessively sexual with each episode — to the point that it interrupts the viewers’ watching.
- “All of these scene are problematic indeed. I can’t believe some of you are trying to side with the show… Look how forgiving we are when it comes to sexual harassment, huh?”
- “I was also caught off guard by how much cursing was involved in the show. I wasn’t upset about the swear words per se. Personally, I was shocked to hear them on TV at an evening K-Drama.”
- “The entire scene about the hair being sexually arousing… LMAO. I really can’t even deal with how much harassment is overlooked as humor.”
- “I wanted to watch this show because Kim Soo Hyun is in it, but it’s making me reconsider my decision…”
- “How f*cking low…”
- “I think it’s embarrassing and disgusting to watch.”
As“It’s Okay To Not Be Okay” is facing criticism for “sexually harassing” content, the production team claimed, “We’re looking into the details.”
It’s Okay To Not Be Okay tells the story of Moon Kang-tae (Kim Soo-hyun), a community health worker at a psychiatric ward who doesn’t have time for love, and Ko Moon-young (Seo Ye-ji), a successful children’s book author who suffers from antisocial personality disorder and has never known love. After meeting one another, the two slowly begin to heal each other’s emotional wounds. The drama continues to average around 6% in viewer ratings. As the romantic side of the plot develops, viewers look forward to seeing more of the lead couple’s chemistry — and less of the controversial takes.